Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Bluebonnets are in Bloom

I think this will be our last cold spell of the year. Spring is definitely in the air. I took one of my daughters to spend spring break with her grandparents and the bluebonnets are starting to bloom, and they are gorgeous, as always.

Some time ago, I made some of my own. I just never posted them here. 

 

I used a stamp from a scrap booking store as my pattern. The flowers are simply french knots that are left loose around the needle instead of pulled snugly to it. The leaves are just a satin stitch.

I used a variegated floss and fussy stitched (you know, like fussy cutting) based on how I wanted the color to flow. I used two different colors for more variegation.




I also dyed my own fabric. I laid my hoop on a piece of white cotton. Then, I took a blue Sharpie and drew a mark along the top of my hoop on my fabric. I took it to the sink and poured alcohol on it, which makes the Sharpie run. When it was like I wanted it, I ran it under water to stop the process. I'm really pleased with how it turned out and hope to do some more experimenting with it.

No comments: