Thursday, July 29, 2010

Annie BOM

I finished my first block in Sharon's Annie block of the month.

Isn't she cute?!

It worked up so quickly and I'm loving the bright colors. It seems that everything I've been working on lately use dark or muted colors so this was really refreshing.

I can't wait for next month's package to arrive.!

Friday, July 23, 2010

A new top

Okay, this one isn't a t-shirt refasion but it is another shirt I made for my girls.

This one started with two cotton dish towels that I bought on clearance last year.

I knew what I wanted to do with them, it just took me this long to actually do it. lol

There was one pink dish towel and one plaid. The pink one had the embroidery on one end.

So, I cut it off at one end, leaving enought to just turn it under to make the neckline, leaving enough room in the fold to run the tie through. I did cut it in a little to give it some deffinition under the arms.

I cut the long (already folded and sewn) edges from the plaid dish towel and stitched those togeter to make the tie at the neck.

Then I cut a piece of the plaid towel to match the sides on the pink piece and shirred the fabric. After that, all that was left to do was sew the back to the front.

Since I used the ends of the dish towels, this eliminated having to hem the bottom of the shirt too.

I thought it turned out pretty cute. And for once, it actually turned out the way I had envisioned it. lol

The girls really like it, and I think it cost all of $2.00 to make. Can't beat that!! And, I like the challenge of looking for 'fabric' in unusual items. It adds an extra touch of challenge to the process.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Yet another t-shirt refashion

I think I'm on a roll here.

This is another t-shirt I've had laying around forever.

I don't even remember why I bought it in the first place.

And I know that this is (at least) the third house of ours that it's lived in.

I'm glad i finally got around to doing something with it. :0)

I cut the shirt off under the sleeves and finished the raw edge with a zig-zag stitch using contrasting thread.

Then I put a few lines of shirring all the way around the top.

For the straps, I  cut the hem off of another t-shirt and turned it inside out. It almost felt like cheating. lol

I cut a flower design from that same other t-shirt and did an 'Alabama Stitching' type design on the shirt along with the reverse applique.

When I got finished, I felt like it still needed a little more pizazz (as my girls like to call it) so added the beads to the middle of the flowers.

The girls are happy with how it turned out, as am I. This is the first time I've done a design without copying it from somewhere else. Yeah me! lol

Thursday, July 15, 2010

I won!!!

I won the drawing that Sharon had.

This is what I won.

(I apologize that the picture isn't better.)

It is soooo cute! Much better than the picture looks. (I've got to get a new battery for my camera because the one I have now won't hold the charge well enough to take decent pictures.)

I also ordered her Annie BOM. It comes with fabric strips to finish it off too. And then I couldn't help but order the cute pair of scissors too.

And as a surprise she threw in that cute little zipper bag too!! Isn't it adorable?!

I'm already having to fight with my girls because they want that little bag too.

It was all packaged up and wrapped so cute too.

Go over to her site Daisy Cottage Quilting and order some cuteness for yourself. She's got some great stuff there!!

Thursday, July 8, 2010

Another t-shirt refashion

This is another t-shirt that I had bought for ridiculously cheap. It was just a plain white t-shirt and I knew it needed a little sprucing up.

I wrote (one of) my daughter's name on a scrap piece of fabric.

I cut it out.

Then I sewed it onto the shirt sideways.

She loves it!

I just stitched down the middle of the letters so it will curl a little once I wash it.

Now of course I have two more to make after the others saw it.
I also took a little piece of the fabric and made the bow for the barrette. Maybe now we'll be able to see her face?

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

T-shirt refashion

I remade a t-shirt that I had bought on a clearance rack for $2 or something like that.

I started with a shirt that was too big for me.

I cut it off right under the arms.

Then I used the fabric from the back of the shirt top to make straps.

Then I used elastic thread in the bobbin to put in a few lines of shirring on the back.

That helps it to stay a little more tightly against me. That way I don't flash anyone if I bend over.

I'm pleased with the way it turned out. It fits well and is comfortable to wear. I made sure to make the straps wide enough to cover my bra straps so that wouldn't be an issue either.

I would think that if you are using a shirt that already fits you could avoid the shirring in the back.

I've taken the time to be busy in my sewing room studio (sounds more sophisticated) and I've been loving it. If only I didn't have so much other stuff to take care of too. *sigh*