Friday, July 19, 2013

Banana chocolate hazelnut muffins

So I decided to play around a little with some muffins. I had seen a recipe for muffins using Nutella but of course I couldn't find it again when I was looking. That meant I was left to my own devices so I made something up. lol Oh, and I didn't have any Nutella......my son prefers the Jiff version of chocolate hazelnut spread.

This is the end product....


I decided to make a banana version.

I got my basic banana muffin recipe made. (You can find the recipe at the bottom of the post.) Also, I used agave nectar instead of sugar to keep more moisture in the muffins. I find that when I make banana muffins they tend to be drier than I want so I use the agave instead. Of course, I could always just add a little more milk.....that would work. If you don't want to use the agave, of course you can use regular sugar. It's the same amount, and you might want to add in a splash of milk so that the batter isn't quite so thick.

So, back to the making stuff.

After I got my recipe all made, I just dumped some of the chocolate hazelnut spread into my bowl. It looked like this..........


I just folded it in so that my batter (and later my muffins) would have swirls of the hazelnut spread.


Then I put the batter in the muffin pan, put it in the oven and waited 20 minutes.


And that's it. Yummy muffins for breakfast!


Here's the recipe.


Banana Chocolate Hazelnut Muffins

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp baking powder

¼ tsp salt

1 egg beaten

1/3 cup agave nectar

½ cup milk

¼ cup oil

½ cup mashed banana

½ cup chocolate hazelnut spread

 

 

Preheat oven to 350F.

 

Grease 12 muffin cups or use paper muffin cup liners. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and set aside. In a medium sized bowl, combine beaten egg, agave nectar, milk, oil, and mashed banana. Add to the flour mixture and combine well, but do not over stir. Gently fold in the chocolate hazelnut spread leaving a swirl effect to the batter. (To be perfectly honest here, I did not measure the chocolate hazelnut spread. I just glopped a bunch out into my bowl until I thought it looked like enough.)

 

Fill the muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 20 minutes or until set.


Let me know if you try them and what you think!

No comments: