Friday, July 23, 2010

A new top

Okay, this one isn't a t-shirt refasion but it is another shirt I made for my girls.

This one started with two cotton dish towels that I bought on clearance last year.

I knew what I wanted to do with them, it just took me this long to actually do it. lol

There was one pink dish towel and one plaid. The pink one had the embroidery on one end.

So, I cut it off at one end, leaving enought to just turn it under to make the neckline, leaving enough room in the fold to run the tie through. I did cut it in a little to give it some deffinition under the arms.

I cut the long (already folded and sewn) edges from the plaid dish towel and stitched those togeter to make the tie at the neck.

Then I cut a piece of the plaid towel to match the sides on the pink piece and shirred the fabric. After that, all that was left to do was sew the back to the front.

Since I used the ends of the dish towels, this eliminated having to hem the bottom of the shirt too.

I thought it turned out pretty cute. And for once, it actually turned out the way I had envisioned it. lol

The girls really like it, and I think it cost all of $2.00 to make. Can't beat that!! And, I like the challenge of looking for 'fabric' in unusual items. It adds an extra touch of challenge to the process.


Justine said...

Super creative! When I read "dish towels" I had to come over and take a look for myself. This is perfect for the summer :)


Amber said...

Very cute! Love the refashion. I am visiting from Tea Rose Home.