Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mother's Day Art

I've probably mentioned here before that my mother-in-law likes things with the kids' handprints on them. Since I've been making these types of things from the time they were babies, I'm starting to run out of ideas.

I've used their foot prints a couple of times, and even their tiny little butt prints. (It was a shirt with 'butt-erflies' on it. Too funny!!)

Anyway, I saw this picture at Come Together Kids and thought it looked like something I could do. (She's got a whole tutorial on how to make it.)


Great idea, right? (By the way, she's got lots of neat stuff so go check out her blog.)

Anyway, my mother-in-law is more into modern and these flowers were a little frilly for her so I tweaked it just a bit and came up with this.




I tried to keep the flowers a little higher on the 'trees' so that it was clear that they were hands since my flowers are bigger than Laura's. And, since it was a gift for Dax's mom, I decided to add his hand in there too. He's in the middle with all of his little saplings around him. :0)  I also wrote their names along the trunk.

It was a little labor intensive making all those flowers, and I was concerned whether she would like it at all.
Oh, I also started with a purchased canvas to save some effort where I could.


But, I think she LOVED it, so it was definitely worth the effort.


While I was busy making it, though, I wondered to myself why I never make any of these treasures for myself.

No comments: