Thursday, May 31, 2012

Saved from the trash

During the school year I make lunches for my kids everyday. I don't think they've bought their lunch even once since they started at the Jr. High two years ago.

As you can imagine, we go through quite a few of these.


I hate throwing away these big plastic containers so I try to find something else to do with them.

I'm starting to run out of things to put in them quite frankly. So, I've been wanting to try growing some sweet potatoes and the other day it finally hit me that I could cut the top off of these and use them. They're plenty deep enough.

See...

The reason I've been trying to figure something out is because I needed it to be a container that was in the house. Even though we live on 5 acres and the back yard is fenced separately from the rest of the acreage, we have a doberman that climbs over that fence and uses anything he can find int he front to play with. If I tried to plant anything out there, he would have it torn up in a matter of minutes. Leaving wet or muddy shoes on the porch to dry isn't an option either. Those are some of his favorite things to play with.

Hopefully I can keep the cats inside the house from eating the plants.

It's all just a juggling act isn't it?

No comments: