Saturday, July 2, 2011

Recycling or Upcycling

Either way, it's making someing great out of something ordinary. :0)


I got this really great bracelet from Whoop D Whoop (if you haven't been there you really should go) from sodacangirl.

It's a bracelt and the 'charms' are made from a Pepsi can. I also got one from her that was made using a Arizona Tea can, but I gave it to my Mom.

Anyway, how great of an idea and how fantastic of a bracelet does that make? I love the bracelet and spent some time looking at it trying to decide how she made it. I finally decided to hit the scrapbooking department at the store and buy a punch and try to make my own.

I decided on a flower shape. I had a diet root beer can at home so decided to try the punch on it. It worked out perfectly!! I used a hammer and small nail to put the holes in mine for the jump rings, but next time I'll just use a tiny little hole punch (especially since I found mine the other day while looking for something else. lol)

Here's my finished product:


(I wish the pictures were better, but I took them at night.)

One of my daughters has already claimed this one. My kitchen counter is lined with different cans that they want made into bracelets. I love the fact that they are now looking at the colors and patterns on soda cans to decide if they wan a bracelet out of them. I like it anytime I can get them to see something a little different that its usual use.

I have to say though, that it took me a LONG time to get those charms onto that bracelet. I spent almost a whole week doing it because I was getting sooooooooo frustrated that I would have to put it down and walk away. Then, on the last two charms an easier way to do it occured to me. Typical!

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wow - your bracelet turned out great. I would love for you to share this project on my Inspiration Board.
http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2011/07/inspiration-board-link-party.html

carolyn | homework

Our Little Family said...

I LOVE this bracelet! But are the cut areas of the can sharp at all? Did you have to do anything else to the can to prepare it for the bracelet?